Thursday, October 15, 2009

Video: 1990 San Hsia Hung Shui Oolong

My first clumsy speech on video!

Warning: A tea friend and tea merchant reminded me last evening that most tea drinkers prefer tea with strong flavors. Scented teas are the rule. Even with unscented teas, most will probably first notice and be impressed by complex notes and young strength. These are the teas where you think 'Whaooh!'

If you're in this stage, then this aged Oolong isn't for you. At least not yet.

But if you continue your exploration and understanding of tea, purity, sweetness, calm and longlasting pleasant aftertaste will become your goal for the ultimate tea experience. That's when you say 'Humm...' after drinking such a tea.

Second warning: collector aged tea of this quality is rare and therefore expensive. The best way to reduce this cost: select a good, young Hung Shui Oolong now and store it yourself.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Interesting observation and rather a coincidence because I just mentioned yesterday to one of my regular vendors that I tend to prefer many short, rather light infusions with lots of leaf. I find it's the best way (for me) to identify and enjoy a fine tea's many subtle qualities.
And speaking of Hung Shui, I'll be sharing that Autumn '09 with friends next week for the express purpose of posting our impressions. Looking forward!

小 約翰 said...

Very good video - très bonne vidéo

David said...

Intéressant d'utiliser le média qu'est la vidéo. J'aime beaucoup.

La photo au dessous est vraiment superbe !

++

EnKoppZen said...

not clumsy at all for a first video.. Very interesting information.

Anonymous said...

I like hearing about aging Oolong whenever I can. Many aged in Taiwan are from different batches and regions mixed together and are refuse or residue? Then over-roasted? That would explain why purity is preferable even though it doesn't powerfully move the palate.