Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Puerh comparison: Purple Da Yi from 2003 vs '7542' Menghai from 1999

A customer suggested that I help him find some older Da Yi puerh cakes. This reminded me that I had several Da Yi cakes in my private collection. I had purchased them in order to have good examples of how puerh tea evolved when Menghai Tea Factory became the Da Yi brand in the early 2000s. So, I compared the purple Da Yi with my 1999 '7542' cake
What I found interesting is that the color of the cakes shows the 2003 Da Yi to be darker or redder than the 1999 cake. It's strange that a younger cake would look darker.

However, the colors of the brews is much more in line with what one would expect:

And now, surprise, the spent leaves of the Da Yi look greener! 

What about scents and taste?

The scent profile has similarities, which suggest a continuity in the 7542 recipe that has helped establish the fame of Menghai/Da Yi. But the tobacco/leather scent is absent from the 2003 brew. This is a scent that is typical of the traditional CNNP era. And while it's still present, and nicely balanced, in the 1999 brew, it has disappeared from the 2003.

The darker color of the 1999 also correctly suggests a more concentrated taste in the 1999 leaves. (I used exactly 2 grams from each cake). So, the 1999 is more intense, richer, deeper than the 2003. Both are satisfying and enjoyable. The 2003 is actually easier to enjoy now, as it is smoother and lighter. The 1999 has a better aging potential thanks to its more powerful and thicker aftertaste. 
Conclusion: The customer who inspired this comparison wrote to me that "there are many fake puerhs, especially Da Yi". So, buyers beware, especially with the high-end aged puerh. My recommendation is to get more experience by tasting samples and making similar comparisons! 

1 comment:

Joël said...

Merci Stéphane pour cette excellent article. J'ai la chance d'avoir une galette de 7542 de 1997 et une de 1999. Ton article me donne envie de faire la comparaison entre les 2.