Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Spring 2010 Li Shan Oolong

Cultivar: Luanze Oolong
Origin: Li Shan, Tsui Luan section
Harvested by hand on May 25th, 2010.
Elevation: 2200-2300 m
Rolled, low oxidized Oolong

Competition test: 3 grams brewed for 6 minutes.

View.
Dry leaves are compactly rolled.
Open leaves are thick, big and show insect bites on the edges.
The tea brew is clear, transparent and shiny. Perfect!

Fragrance.
Light flowers. Sugar cane. Vetiver. Spring.

Taste.
A fine sweetness. Purity. Recurring mellow aftertaste. Freshness. Power.

Conclusion: High Mountain Oolong at its sweetest and purest!

Advice: Use very hot (just boiled) water to open these tightly rolled leaves. And preheat your vessel and cups.

This tea concludes a wonderful High Mountain season of Spring 2010. 4 different mountains can now be enjoyed and compared.

Recently, Teaparker compared High Mountain Oolongs to the 3 tenors: Shan Lin Shi as José Carreras, Ali Shan as Placido Domingo and Da Yu Ling as Luciano Pavarotti.

And what about Li Shan? I'd suggest Andrea Bocelli!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stéphane,

I was wondering if the plants you use for your tea setups are a 'pre-tea' passion, or you started to acquire them in order to complete your tea experience ?


(Second , the package has arrived, I'm going to collect it tomorrow at the post office. I'm so glad it got here so fast )

Regards,
Cosmin.

TeaMasters said...

Cosmin,

Up to 2 years ago, I wasn't able to keep a plant alive for more than a couple of months. It was very frustrating. Now, since I use them daily in my Cha Xi, I take better care of them. They 'drink' the tea rests and seem happy!

Enjoy your teas!

Stephane

Marilyn Miller said...

You definitely know how to celebrate the day with tea. Such beautiful pictures. I am enjoying a LiShan a friend recently brought me from Taiwan. It is just delightful.

anaiis said...

I got it yesterday here in Oslo - last spoons scrapped out of the huge tin in which they sell it. So depressed I didn't get more of it! But oh, great tea master, you did not say how did you continue to brew it? I also brew it for 6 min first, but now what? How do we proceed? 3 min? 1 min?