Wednesday, October 18, 2023

A feminine tea brings comfort

 

Imperial Oriental Beauty Oolong
How do you stay sane and happy in a crazy world where kids get slaughtered, abducted and bombed? The news at our fingertips are unbearable to read and comprehend. So much suffering is unbearable, especially when it happens in a country I have lived in and love, Israel. 

What happened on October 7th is similar in scale to the massacre of Nanjing in December 1937 (in terms of population ratio). This comparison may resonate with my Chinese readers to understand. Even after 10 days, I still can't understand the scale and brutality of this attack. One thing is sure, it has unleashed a lot of hatred that will take years and decades to mend. And it will become worse before it becomes better.

In this dire moment of time, I thought of the British motto of WW2 'drink tea and carry on'. Drink tea, because this is what I love to do. The best way to fight anger and sadness in our hearts is with love and positive thoughts. By the way, I did a whole tea class on this subject a few weeks ago. You may want to watch it if you haven't done so yet.

Choosing the right tea for the occasion is crucial to the success of your Chaxi. To make it count, it's always good to focus on leaves with exceptional quality. The character of the tea also matters. In the autumn evening, the temperatures are becoming cooler in Taiwan. This calls for a warming tea, one with a high oxidation level. And the need for comfort from this brutal reality makes me long for a feminine presence. What tea could be more feminine than Oriental Beauty Oolong?! It smells like a mesmerizing perfume and tastes sweet like a warm kiss! A soothing presence fills the body and relaxes the mind. The plaid pattern of the red Chabu also suggests that we are connected, never alone with our feelings. It makes me wish to share my thoughts with my tea friends who may also experience anguish.
The bamboo on the left reminds me that it's a very popular symbol for resilience. The Ming dynasty literati loved bamboo very much. It will bend under extreme weather, but it won't break. And if one bamboo stick can easily be broken, they are unbreakable when they stand together. I apologize if I don't say or do anything very new. There's also comfort in repeating and doing something that you know well. Drink tea and carry on.

No comments: