Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Green tea for Teddy

Teddy has arrived today. (Thanks!) He immediately joined my son's train in the living room. His toys have invaded my place of peace, where I usually make my tea! So, we combined both our toys and welcomed Teddy with very fresh Bi Luo Chun from San Hsia. Green tea is lighter and brewed a little less hot than most teas. So, I reckon it makes a good tea for cute bears and little kids.

This Bi Luo Chun (sample) was harvested in mid January 2008. The first time I tested it (near boiling temperature and 5 minutes), it tasted too bitter. Today, I've waited a little after getting to the boil and brewed a much shorter time. The result was very floral and fresh fragrance and a sweet and light taste. And the potential for bitterness meant that this tea has strength that makes it brewable several times. It's not as delicate as top grade Bi Luo Chun from Jiangsu, China. The leaves are much bigger. But it still makes for an enjoyable, straightforward cup of green tea. Especially, it has the immediate freshness that one expects from a green tea.

So, in a couple of weeks, when the season for spring teas starts in San Hsia, I'll probably bring Teddy along and select some similar green leaves.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Good idea to add more green tea in your selection. Is the green tea harder to brew than any other tea?
Thanks Stephane

alohanema said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TeaMasters said...

Mariano,
Green tea needs a calmer flow and attention to when it's ready. I think it's harder because I'm more used to Oolong and puerh. It had been a long time since my last green tea. So, it's a question of practice (=gongfu)!

Unknown said...

Bonjour Stéphane,

Désolé de "polluer" vos commentaires, mais je ne sais comment vous joindre autrement. Je serai à Hong Kong la semaine prochaine. J'aurais voulu savoir si vous aviez l'une ou l'autre adresse à me recommander pour goûter/déguster des thés, voire en acheter.

D'avance, je vous en remercie.
Sylvain

TeaMasters said...

Sylvain,

Je ne connais pas Hong Kong, juste son aéroport! Désolé.