Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Short Tea Masters blog news

Here's a preview of things I'd like to write more in detail about (when I have more time on my hands):

- First a thanks to yet another reader (in south of France this time) who sent me 3 puer and 1 oolong samples.

- Then, there is another cooked puerh brick, also from the year 2000, that I will soon be able to taste. It was a gift from my puerh supplier. I may add it to the selection if it's as good as the other one he provided me.

- Last weekend I also returned to my oolong supplier to refill my inventory. This time I also purchased another Da Yu Ling soft stem (luanze) Oolong. This new Da Yu Ling, which definitely looks and smells even better, has been harested on a more recent plantation at an altitude of 2200 meters. (The one I am carrying in my selection is at 1800 meters height). I also hope to soon make a detailed tasting and present it on the blog. The 1800 meters is already blowing my mind away, I wonder what the 2200 meter tea will do: a glimpse at the divine?

The only bad thing that I can say about these teas is their 'high altitude' price! They are hand picked and the terrain at such altitude is very difficult, so that they can't harvest as much as on flat ground. Then, the whole tea making process is done with more attention and care than with cheaper tea, because you don't want to risk ruining such exceptional leaves. I've had some inquiries to sell it in smaller quantities than 150 grams. This makes perfect sense, as this is not the kind of tea one drinks every day. And it's also a tea that is best drunk within 6 to 9 months. (They have been lightly roasted for longer conservation.)

Therefore I inform you that I will provide both these Da Yu Lings also in 50/75/100 grams packages at the respective pro rata price (a third/half/2 third of the 150 gr price). 50 grams is a little bit less than 2 oz.

- I also refilled the Lugu Oolong. It has been just harvested and qualifies either as early spring or late winter. I've tasted it in a gaiwan and it performed very well, staying green all the way and doing 8 brews!

- I've been drinking my 2003 wild raw puer today and I'm still amazed by its lingering cha qi. I plan to wrap each qizi bing in a handwritten Chinese calligraphy. The first calligraphy that was made looks great, but just a little too big. I will show you when it's ready.

No comments: