Monday, October 23, 2006

The Dragon tetsubin

Last Saturday, I have exchanged the tetsubin I bought for this 'Dragon' tetsubin. I hesitated a lot with the 'owl' tetsubin (seen in a previous post). But this one looked even older, more antique (even though it's new). I'm sure it will give me not only excellent water, but also will look great with my tea sets.
Now, why is called dragon? On this first picture, the engraving represents the head of the dragon:And on the other side you can see the dragon's tail!
What I find amazing is how the maker could make this iron look so old. It looks as if it were a 1000 years old archeological find. The seller told me that I can raise ('yang') this teapot -like an Yixing teapot-. The older, the more beautiful. One way to do so is to rub it with a raw potatoe!

Here is a preview of how it looks when I combine it with a small Xishi zisha teapot from Yixing and Qing dynasty wine cups. It looks almost like a time machine! Add some fuel: boiling water on tea and off I will be!


A big 'thank you' for my wife: she paid for the price difference with the previous tetsubin, as a Chrismas gift!

4 comments:

Axel said...

Joli effet de surface sur cette tetsubin! On croirait avoir voir une pièce ancienne. En tout cas, avec ça, plus besoin de faire de la musculation...

Anonymous said...

Une acquisition magnifique, tu as bien fais de changer d'avis !
Est ce que l'interieur est brut comme ton ancienne tetsubin ?

TeaMasters said...

Elle ne pèse 'que' 1,89kg, bien moins que ma précédente. (Celle avec le hibou pèse 1,7 kg)

L'intérieur n'est pas brut, mais a été recouvert par qq chose, mais ce n'est pas de l'émaille. D'ailleurs, ce n'est pas appliqué partout. Cela fut aussi le cas sur ma tetsubin précédente. Au bout d'un moment cela part, surtout si on oublie de l'eau dedans. Probablement juste pour que cela garde un aspect neuf pendant que la tetsubin est en entrepots et qu'elle ne commence pas à rouiller avant qu'on l'achète.

Anonymous said...

Where can I buy something similar to this in Taiwan? I see many average looking tetsubins but I like the old look of yours. I know part of the fun would be to look for one myself but I do not have the time right now. I just want one now!
Love your blog.