Friday, November 17, 2023

1 day 1 tea: Day 17


Day 17: Menghai 7542 raw puerh cake from 1999.

In a couple of months, this classic puerh will turn 25 years old! The 7542 recipe ranks just behind the 8582 in terms of price, but many connoisseurs and I include myself here, prefer the 7542, because its smaller leaves produce a finer taste (than the larger 8582 leaves).

An old Yixing zisha teapot helps to add harmony to the flavors. For most tea lovers, this would mean using a 1960s ZhongGuo Yixing zisha. Well, since I was fortunate to acquire an Yixing teapot dating back to Qianlong's reign (1736-1795), I'm using it! It's 10 times older than the tea, but still in great condition and brews a very smooth and harmonious puerh. The fact that it feels so fragile adds to my concentration while holding the teapot. Respect and attention come naturally. And it feels meaningful to connect the past with the present.
A picture of autumn bliss:
 The colors of this quilt go so well with the clear aged sheng puerh:
The art of quilting is to create harmony with small pieces of different fabric. Patterns and color moods create beauty.
The teas we drink and our actions in life are like quilting. The goal isn't perfection, but a pattern of harmony. It's about making and finding sense. And this quilt does bring a lot of meaning to me personally, because my mother has made if for me over 15 years ago.  
Brewing tea for your family or adding something from them on you Chaxi is a great way to make your tea very meaningful in this Thanksgiving season!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt! Does your mother make the lovely Chabu on your website, too?

TeaMasters said...

Thank you! My mother gave me the inspiration for the Chabu on my website, but they are the work of my wife!